This position is responsible for assembling high-speed motor, generator and turbomachinery equipment, including sub assembly and system level testing in accordance with applicable drawings, schematics and specifications. This role is responsible for testing, commissioning and supporting products both on-site and in the field. The job will require prototype testing of machines, power electronics, magnetic bearing systems and integrated systems for development and serial production. The Build/Test Technician will also represent the company in the field, leading commissioning and support efforts, meeting with customers and understanding their facility, applications and products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assemble high precision motor, generator and turbo machinery equipment components and systems
- Assemble power electronics and magnetic bearing systems
- Follow blueprints, routers and work instructions
- Write and execute test plans with engineering inputs and document test results
- Setup of test equipment including water cooling loops and data acquisition systems
- Coordinate with internal teams for product testing related to engineering, production and manufacturing efforts
- Oversee testing lab, including equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
- Commission projects at customer facilities including installation support, diagnosis, data collection and communication to all internal teams
- Communicate with customer/stakeholders on field service and support matters
- Diagnose and support equipment at customer sites through phone, email or personal support onsite
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Ability to build assemblies based on blueprints, routers and work instructions
- Ability to use tools, fixtures and testing apparatuses
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Basic understanding of motor, generator, power electronics and magnetic bearing components
- Ability to use data acquisition and diagnostic instrumentation – oscilloscopes, power meters, spectrum analyzers and common electrical meters
- Hands-on experience with rotating machinery and variable frequency drives
- System integration experience, specifically with electro-mechanical systems
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, in oral and written form, along with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- High degree of independent judgment with minimal supervisory guidance
- Strong technical communication required for customer support and training
- Additional computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Nice to Have
- Experience with RS-232/485 communication and MODBUS protocols
- Experience with AC-DC conversion equipment and motor drives
- Experience with customer service in a turbomachinery company
- Experience with customer service in a clean energy company
- Experience working in a small to mid-size company where the efforts of one or two individuals are very impactful
- Experience with Solidworks or other design/drafting systems
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
To apply, email resume to email@example.com.