Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conceptualization of new designs based on existing proven designs and innovations
- Design new products and make improvements to existing products
- Evaluate products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability
- Perform basic analysis functions
- Application of engineering principles and established engineering norms
- Technical calculations in areas of mechanical design and packaging of electrical rotating machinery
- Technical ownership of the design
- Detailing of components and parts; working with inside and outside resources to ensure optimum manufacturing efficiency and cost in design
- Design of associated assembly tooling for the machine fabrication
- Maintain configuration control of the product in SWPDM
- Ensure timely and correct technical release of drawings to meet project schedule
- Assist the other project team members in cross-functional activities when necessary
- Review drawings for completeness and accuracy
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
Skills, Experience, Education and Abilities
- Minimum of a 4 year Engineering Degree (Mechanical) with at least 5 years’ experience in a design role
- Solidworks or similar 3D modeling software experience (minimum 3 years)
- Knowledge of GD&T standards and application to new designs
- Experience interfacing with vendors and customers to incorporate their input into final product design
- Must have the ability to create detailed designs of products while incorporating best available manufacturing practices
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Nice to Have
- Experience in rotating machinery
- Experience with high speed machines and/or permanent magnet motors
- Experience with SWPDM Configuration Control software a plus
- System integration experience, specifically with electro-mechanical systems, bearings and seals
- Project management skills
Specialized Experience Desired
Candidate with this skill will get special consideration.
- Aero dynamic design engineering experience related to turbomachinery (i.e., gas turbines, compressors, turboexpanders)
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.