Director of Engineering
This position is responsible for leading our engineering department in the development of new versions of our existing turboexpander product and supporting the refinement/modification of existing products towards commercialization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage, direct and coordinate engineering operations and activities, including but not limited to new product development, existing product support, manufacturing operations and technical support of sales.
- Provide leadership within the organization as a member of the executive team and lead a staff of engineers, managing, directing and prioritizing their efforts.
- Develop design criteria and oversee new product development through design, build and test.
- Develop accurate financial forecasts and budgets that facilitate day-to-day decisions to support the planning, fund raising and capital expenditure processes.
- Integrate the engineering function with other functions within the organization, creating a seamless customer experience.
- Maintain/develop regular and frequent interaction with customers at key decision maker levels.
- Ensure both product and service quality in all aspects of the Company’s offerings.
- Administer processes as necessary for engineering, development and field operations.
- Develop testing procedures to document performance of equipment and provide data to support sales, marketing and field service.
- Develop/evolve processes to reduce cost of existing and new products.
- Manage development test cells.
- Support field service issues.
- Motivate, inspire and energize the organization through hands-on management and frequent communication.
- Develop a sufficient understanding of Sapphire’s technologies and products.
- Maintain a team culture that seeks and values the input of employees, holds people accountable for results and encourages successful performance.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in engineering, product development, new technology development or related positions, preferably in high-speed rotating turbomachinery or clean energy.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in an engineering field (preferably mechanical or electrical engineering).
- Minimum of 6 years of management experience.
- Experience and/or comfort with early-stage or growth-stage companies.
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of Matlab, LabView, Solidworks and Ansys software.
- Prior leadership role in an organization focused on design, build and test of complex engineered systems and products.
- Proven effective record of maintaining positive employee relations and high levels of employee motivation and productivity.
- Strong technical knowledge of the following:
- Thermodynamics, fluid flow and heat transfer
- High speed rotating machinery
- Control logic
- Simulation analysis
- Electrical grid interconnection
- Ability to provide both technical and personnel leadership.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross functional team to achieve goals.
- Ability to make decisions with limited input and limited information on hand.
- Ability to apply lessons learned from the previous products into new systems.
- Ability to effectively present company and technology to customers and investors through presentations, papers, lectures, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
To apply, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.