Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following satisfactorily; other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understand the operation of high precision motor, generator and turbo machinery equipment components and systems
- Understand the operation of power electronics and magnetic bearing systems
- Understand and follow electrical, mechanical, and system drawings
- Troubleshoot problems in the field, with engineering inputs and document results
- Commission projects at customer facilities including installation support, diagnosis, data collection and communication to all internal teams
- Communicate with customer/stakeholders on field service and support matters
- Diagnose and support equipment at customer sites through phone, email or personal support onsite
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in field service, test, or a technical operational environment
- Basic understanding of motor, generator, power electronics and magnetic bearing components
- Ability to read schematics, engineering drawings and technical data sheets
- Ability to use data acquisition and diagnostic instrumentation – oscilloscopes, power meters, spectrum analyzers, common electrical meters
- High degree of independent judgment with minimal supervisory guidance
- Strong technical communication required for customer support and training
- Additional computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Nice to Have
- Hands-on experience with rotating machinery and variable frequency drives
- System integration experience, specifically with electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with RS-232/485 communication and MODBUS protocols
- Experience with AC-DC conversion equipment and motor drives
- Experience with customer service in a turbomachinery company
- Experience with customer service in a clean energy company
- Experience working in a small to mid-size company where the efforts of one or two individuals are very impactful
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Candidate must be comfortable with travel ~50% of the time, up to 70% during period of heavy off-site support requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.